Friday, December 26, 2014

Night Shift Diaries: Final Installment

I finished my final capstone shift a few weeks ago at UVRMC. I must say, it was a little more difficult than I thought it would be to finish. 
I've grown so much through this experience, and discovered that what I am really capable of. 
I've learned to be fiercely independent in caring for my patients. 
I've also learned that it's perfectly okay to ask for help. 
I have learned that having a good group of people that you work with can make any night pretty fantastic, despite the patient load or the "crankiness" of those patients. 
I built friendships and relationships that I hope to keep for quite some time. 
I found that I secretly (or not so secretly) love working night shift.

A few highlights from my last night shift as a nursing student:
-Addictions
Myles is an addict going through withdrawal.
Actually, he's an addict to students who do all his work.
On my last shift, he mentioned it was good that he had worked the day before too, because then he could go through withdrawal and get one last hit before I was really done.
He was complaining that he was going through withdrawal and actually had to do his own work.
Of course, he was kidding.
But it made me feel pretty good to know I had actually been helpful and not a drag.
Since finishing, I have visited a few times. 
Each time, Myles reminds me that he misses my help.
We've decided we make an excellent team and could handle anything.

-Laughing
The 6th floor is a great place to laugh about balls and weenies.
Meat balls, that is.
And the little sausage weenies in barbecue sauce.
Generally, the 6th floor is a great place to laugh hysterically about anything.

-Polygamy
We had a polygamist patient on the floor.
Myles said he might ask me to be his wife.
I replied that IF he asked me that, I would punch him in the balls.

-Excellent work ethic
On my last shift, Myles and I split up the work to divide and conquer.
I complimented (very sarcastically) his excellent work ethic.
He helped get all of our stuff done before I left.
His reasoning: he has to get used to doing all his own work again.

-Homemade brownies
I seriously would bring brownies at least every other week.
It's nice to have a little treat to help you make it through the evening.
Everyone loves them.
It's nothing crazy. Just a fudge brownie and a dark chocolate brownie mixed together.
Myles was eating one of said brownies.
Then he made a smart ass comment to Mycami, and started choking.
We couldn't help but laugh.
That's what you get.

-Your mom jokes.
Traci came into the break room while we were eating lunch and had to share the following two jokes.
Admittedly, they were stupid.
And that's why it was so funny.
Joke #1: Your mom's so dumb she bought tickets to Xbox live.
Joke #2: Your mom's so ugly she went to a One direction concert and they ran the other direction.

-Last highlight of the evening: I started an IV on Myles!
Success. I've still got it.

Guess it wasn't too painful after all.

And so ends my night shift career (for now) on the 6th floor at UVRMC.
It's been real.
And I really loved each moment of it.
How could you not with so many awesome people to work with?
I can't wait to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SHARE THE LOVE