Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Night Shift Diaries: Installment 2

This morning I finished my first 3 in a row.
Let's just say I slept from 7 till 3 today after I got home.
It was totally wicked.

I finally feel like I'm getting it.
The confidence thing is getting better and better.
I can do an assessment and chart it without much difficulty.
I took 3 patients on my own this week, and then helped with the other patients as well.
I actually feel like I'm making progress and one day I'll actually be able to take 6 patients. 
It's a great feeling.

I got home on Tuesday morning and threw my scrubs in the washer.
I took a nap, switched the wash, and got ready for work.
I went to work, and then came home to get ready for clinical.
HUGE problem: my white scrub top was dirty.
AFTER being washed.
The sleeves have a weird grey hue to them and the whole shirt has weird spots on it.
What gives!

So instead of getting the brownies finished, I had to leave early to go buy a new scrub top.
Sucked. I had to bring brownies because Myles and I lost a bet.
You see on Monday night, we were watching Love it or List it while eating lunch.
We bet with Bruce (the pct) that they would love the house. He thought they would list it.
Loser brought dessert. 
Myles and I lost. They listed the house.

Anyway, so I left the brownies at home.
Dan so sweetly and lovingly brought them to me at the hospital around 9.
It was so nice to see him for a few minutes.
We don't get to see each other as often as we'd like because I'm doing nights. 
It's all in the little things for us these days.
And the brownies were a huge hit!

The second highlight of the evening was not a pretty one.
I have smelled some pretty awful things in the last 3 years of nursing school.
Truly.

I know everyone who works in health care has inadvertently smelled some pretty terrible things.
But never have I ever actually started to heave because of a smell.
I've come close, but have always been able to pull myself together and soldier on.
Last night, it happened.

I started gagging and heaving at a smell.
Myles had warned me about it, but I figured it's just like the other smells.
You just don't breathe through your nose and really just don't breathe at all if you can help it.
It didn't work.

Oh heavenly days I was so glad that no one could see me and that any inflection in my voice didn't change.

I walked right back out, with a good excuse of needing to get some clorox wipes.
It was the strangest feeling!
My eyes were watering and I could feel my blood pressure dropping.
Seriously, I've never actually almost thrown up because of a smell.
Now I can check that off the bucket list. 

Thankfully after 5 min or so of pulling myself together, I walked right back in and finished the task.
No gagging or heaving.

I know this is totally disgusting, but it's these little gems that I want to remember.
Stinky smells are not gems per say, but it's an impactful memory for me. 
One that reminds me that I can do anything when I have the drive and motivation to get it done.

Another gem that I forgot to blog about:
A week or so ago, we had a patient that had CBI.
Unfortunately, the catheter kept clotting off so we would have to slam in 60mL of saline to try to break up the clots.
If the catheter is not super securely held, the force of pushing in the saline will pop the syringe right off.
I was helping Myles and when he started to push in the saline, I got sprayed.
No joke.
With bloody, urine saline.
Disgusting.
But seriously hilarious.
Myles felt so bad, but it was super funny.
Especially now.

Anyway, there's the funnies for the last few weeks.
On a bright note, I am more than halfway done with my clinical shifts!
10 down. 8 to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SHARE THE LOVE