Friday, October 10, 2014

Night Shift Diaries: Installment 1

I worked at the hospital last night. 
It was epic. For several reasons. 
Let's start from the top.

Myles was charging, so I had to be there an hour earlier than the usual 6pm.
Normal 5 o'clock traffic getting off the freeway in Provo.
I switch lanes because the left turn lane is 3 blocks away.
I notice that everyone in front of me is slowing down.
Expected. 5 o'clock traffic. 
Then it's a sudden stop.

I could've crapped a brick. I was not expecting it. 
Thankfully, I had space to stop without totally slamming on the brakes. 
Then the dead stop doesn't start to move again. 
For 1 minute. 2 minutes. 3 minutes.
In my head, I'm thinking what the heck is going on?!

I started looking around and that's when I saw a guy writhing in pain on the road. 
Motorcycle sideways on the street. 
My heart completely sank. 
In that moment, I was reassured that neither my husband nor my children will ever own a motorcycle. 

We then continued to sit there for 10 more minutes or so. 
The police show up. Then the ambulance and the fire truck. 
Thankfully, the guy looked okay because he was moving around some, and he had a helmet on.
The next few minutes were interesting. 
I had to reverse my car a block to get around the accident.
It was an experience I hope never to do again. 

I stopped by Dan's work to quickly say hello and goodbye.
You see, I was already late. 
I was supposed to be on the floor at the hospital as I pulled into Dan's work.
I had to stop though. 
I wouldn't see him for the next 12 hours and even then, only for a few precious moments before he would have to leave for work.
Working nights kind of sucks a lot in that respect.
But it's okay. We make the time in those little moments.

When I got back into the car to leave, it wouldn't start.
Seriously. WTF.
Guess what? I pulled in so fast that I didn't shift the car into park.
In fact, it was stuck in reverse.
*Palm to face.*
Dan came to the rescue and all was well.

Finally made it to the hospital 15 minutes late. Not the end of the world. 
The shift was awesome.
Actually, a little on the slow side.
But it turned out to be brilliant.
Probably the best shift I've ever had in terms of morale.

Tracey, Myles and  I all got the giggles around 330 and we were doomed since then.
I'm sure most of it was the tired and too much caffeine.
But it was hilarious.
So much in fact Myles and I would go into fits of giggles for the rest of the shift.
I had to leave the charge nurse report because I couldn't stop laughing.
I tried to compose myself and come back in.
I opened the door and looked at Myles and immediately started right in laughing again.

The best part about it all, it was the kind of laughing that makes your stomach hurt.
And then you start crying because you just can't help yourself.
It was fantastic.

Now, to get some sleep and then go for round 2 tonight.
Bring it on.
I'm making brownies and we may be teaching Myles how to twerk.
Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SHARE THE LOVE