Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The mystery of the dissolving chicken bones

So...funny story. Lately, we have been buying the chicken thighs from Costco instead of chicken breasts (1/2 the price for the same amount of meat!). Anyway, of course they have the bones in the things. No big deal, you just cut them out. Well, I made a crock pot meal yesterday for dinner and just threw in the chicken without cutting out the bones because I was
#1. too lazy to do it right then, and
#2. I figured it would be way easier to cut off the bone when the meat had been slow cooked.
Well, I started to shred the chicken and could find no bones to speak of. Literally strained the entire crock pot full of juices hunting for the bones. After we finished eating, we had only come up with a few small fragments of cartilage. So naturally I came to the conclusion that the bones must have dissolved in the crock pot because I definitely had NOT cut them out of the meat and I could not find anything that even remotely resembled a bone in the crock pot. Today, I was making dinner (chicken again--we eat a lot of that stuff around here) and I pull out the chicken to cut out the bone...only get this: they are BONELESS thighs. So folks, bones definitely DO NOT dissolve in crock pots. The mystery has been solved

No comments:

Post a Comment

SHARE THE LOVE