Tuesday, January 22, 2013

"Real" family

I was texting my sister in law yesterday, just a quick note to let her know I was thinking about her. What she sent back to me really made an impact. So Jami, I hope you don't mind but I'm going to write exactly what she wrote to me.

Thanks for loving us and loving Brad even though he isn't "real" family...:)

This didn't hit me right away (it was 4 am when I got it...time difference SUCKS!!), but when I read it again in my fully conscious state, it really hit me. I went around the rest of the day thinking about it, and because life is the way it is, it's taken me 4 days to blog about it. Better late than never, right?

I kept thinking about what "real" family means. After a good majority of the day being distracted in thought on this simple word, I finally decided what real family means to me.

Real family: the ones you surround yourself with, the people you love, and the ones who love you back. In my book, those are the only requirements.

Oblige me for a minute--I want to be honest.
I've never once had a second thought about Brad being family. Some of you may think No big deal. Why worry about that? Well, I've thought about it. It was a hard pill to swallow when we found out Jami was getting married. It was even harder when we found out she'd be moving to Germany. And I was really wrestling with it for quite a while. Here is this little family that I had grown to love so much, and a little boy (who's not so little anymore) that I had been watching once a week. It was rough because on the one hand my heart was breaking knowing that they wouldn't be just up the road anymore, but I was so so so happy for Jami to finally have someone in her life again, someone to take care of both of them. Someone to make them a family again.

When we were in the temple waiting for their sealing, I felt so much peace. I never knew Kam (Dan's brother, and Kason's dad), but I know he was there that day, and he was happy. Maybe that was just for Dan and I to feel, but nonetheless, it made that day that much more perfect. Jami was so happy, the happiest I'd ever seen her, and I knew that was because of Brad. I practically burst into tears seeing her after the sealing, but it was the happy tears. I'm so so grateful she let us be there and share that day with them.

I love Jami and Kason more than any words will ever be adequate or able to express. I love Brad as a part of my family because he's a part of their family. I don't know him that well, and honestly haven't really had a chance to talk to him, but I know he has a good heart and he is a good man. He is taking care of Kason and loving him and raising him. How awesome is that?! Major points in my book just for that. Not only does he love Jami, but he also loves Kason. I can't quite put it into words exactly what I'm thinking. It's more just a feeling. If there is anything I have ever learned in life it's that family is the most important thing. THE MOST IMPORTANT. The way I see things, Brad is and always has been family, and he always will.

Family: the greatest blessing I have ever received.

1 comment:

  1. Um ... thanks for making me cry like a baby! I don't even want to ruin the post with words because it is perfect so, I will just say: I love you & I am so grateful you're MY family!!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

SHARE THE LOVE