Thursday, January 24, 2013

The {almost} successful IV start

Today was IV insertion day. To say I've been a nervous wreck is the understatement of the year. Seriously, it's a little ridiculous. But I was determined to stick someone, and let someone else stick me. It's really the only way to learn...and develop sympathy for your patients.

I let Lauren stick me, and due to the semester of phlebotomy I took, and being stuck in my antecubital area on both arms...I'm a little traumatized. I gave blood a few months ago and really thought I was going to pass out from the anxiety of getting stuck with the large bore needle. It's bad. So I just asked Lauren to stick me in my hands. For me, those don't hurt at all. She {gratefully} obliged! Don't judge me for this anxiety I'm about to relay to you. I don't know how else to explain it other than a traumatized anxiety.

I can't watch myself getting stuck. I tense up, and that makes everything hurt THAT much worse, and make your vein THAT much harder to find. I turned my head and started focusing on my breathing--slow, controlled, and trying to stay relaxed. I felt super bad because after it was over, Lauren and I both realized we were stressed for each other, and not ourselves! Anyway, she stuck me and my stupid vein rolled right out of the way! I felt so bad for her, but it didn't hurt me, and she was fine. 

Then I got ready to stick Mariah. She had some AWESOME antecubital veins. Right on the surface, and big! Seriously, they were beautiful! I had everything all ready, inserted the needle, saw the flash, and was starting to push the catheter completely into the vein when all of the sudden the needle is retracting! I was so completely in shock because I didn't remember pushing the safety to retract the needle, but apparently I did. Sucks because everything was going so well!! So since she has this catheter in her arm, she starts bleeding and it was a huge blur. I just remember thinking I have to stop this bleeding! Luckily we were in school so my instructor is right there and she's helping me the whole time. We stopped the bleeding, and in retrospect, what seemed like an eternity to get the catheter out actually happened super fast. Thank goodness Mariah is such a champ and was not freaking out at all! 

So that's my story for today. It was quite exciting and even thought I didn't get to set up the entire IV system, I'm pretty proud of myself for getting into her vein!! Nursing school...it twists your sense of humor and excitement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

SHARE THE LOVE