Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Dear EAC

As I sit here, debating my future and the inevitability that I am going to BYU in August, I've been reflecting as of late on my days in good ole Thatcher. This post has been in the works for quite some time, but I've got a few minutes, and I figured it's better late than never to write this one.

Thatcher. The kind of one horse town you read about in western novels. Now a days, there are 3 lights across the whole town. Then there's Safford on one side and Pima on the other. The biggest concentration of people is probably at the college. When I decided to go to EA, it was honestly because I didn't have any other options. I didn't want to go to ASU, U of A, NAU or BYU. So I'd kind of limited myself down to community college. My mom and I got up at 6 am to drive down for a preview day of the campus. It was empty. Everyone was apparently at a chili picking service project. But it was pretty, and small, a little more my style. They had just broken ground for the temple. We'd looked up off campus housing because I was going to avoid the freshman 15 at all costs, and that included not eating cafeteria food. My mom and I checked out Goodman apartments, got me signed up on the list, and we started on the long drive back to Phoenix. I didn't really feel one way or the other. It was fine, and they had a nursing program that I could actually get into. That was December of 2008.

Fast forward, August 2009.

Dear EAC,

You've watched me grow up and experience so many new things in this one horse town. I've learned so much about the kind of person that I am and want to be. I've made so many new friends, and I've also made friendships that will last a lifetime. I didn't understand when my mom said that it's the friends in college that you'll be friends with for the rest of your life. Looking back, she's so right. It's that group of friends that we've all seen each other through our first and second years of college. We've seen each other through that initial moving out and being on our own, struggling for precious pennies to go grocery shopping, and having so much fun without having to spend a single cent. I will miss those precious precious memories.

You've given me experiences that I could have never had anywhere else. You allowed me to be close to the Spirit and to the Lord. I've never felt such peace just looking out over the beauty that surrounds me in a cotton field.

You watched me meet and crush hard on Dan only to have it thrown in my face. You watched me become bitter and angry towards him, only to have me find forgiveness and friendship the next year. You watched me fall for him, and fall hard. You watched me hold back, and hold onto things from the past to where I almost lost him. You watched us fall in love with each other with all of our hearts. You saw me through the stress of planning a wedding, only to get violently sick from the Presidents BBQ three days before I went through the temple. You were there as I stepped through those temple doors and received my endowments and made covenants that are so precious and sacred to me.


You were there as I packed my car and drove away from Goodman apartments, the activities center, the Super Stop, and the temple for one last time. You were there as I realized that this temple that has meant so much to me is something that I will not see for a long long time. You were there as that broke my heart driving away.

You were there when I began to more fully trust in the Lord as I stressed over my HESI, only to pass with flying colors. You were there when my faith was shaken as I tried to decide what to do with my future after denying acceptance into the nursing program.

You were there as I met the best friends anyone in this entire world could ask for. They have each and every one of them brought something so special to my life. I can honestly say that if anything were to happen, they would all have my back. You know how they say a good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a best friend will be sitting right there with you? Well I'm pretty sure the jail cell would be super full if something went down because we'd all be in there...except for maybe Jacie :] She's just smart enough to know that we're gonna need someone to get us all out!



Anyway, EAC its been a good run. You've brought me the best friends in the entire world, shown me that I am strong and I can take on anything life can throw at me as long as I rely on the Lord, and you were there when I met and fell in love with my very best friend. It's been a great run. I don't know how BYU is gonna be able to top that, but we'll see what that has in store for me!

Sincerely, me

No comments:

Post a Comment

SHARE THE LOVE