Saturday, January 1, 2011

It makes her feel close.

So I like sleeping with the Mater side of my blanket closest to me. It makes me feel just a little bit closer, like somehow it makes him not as far away.

I’ve let go…finally. I guess three months into a serious relationship is about dang time to let it go. As much as I’d like to think my own little noodle came up with this on its own, it didn’t. I had a little help (okay a lot of help) along the way.

It’s time. Time to recognize the beautiful blessings I’ve been given, and that there is a time and a season for everything. I was given one of the greatest blessings in a friend at that point in my life in Jake Clark.

He was everything I could have ever asked for in a friend and always knew what to say or how to say it even if I didn’t want to hear it, especially when I didn’t want to hear that. I will forever and always cherish the friendship we made and I will be grateful to him for a very, very long time for all the things I have learned from him. I’ve learned to be a little more patient and understanding of people and what is going on—now I’m still working on it. It’s a constant work in progress. Anyone that is around me for an extended amount of time could tell you that. But I am trying. I’ve also learned to rely on the Lord, not from him, but he was always a good example of just the basic and simple reading your scriptures and saying your prayers on a daily basis.

In learning to more fully rely on the Lord, I have recognized another blessing I’ve been given in Dan Haban. I honestly for the life of me cannot figure out why he has stuck around for so long when it’s taken me this long to realize what I have! Holy crap I probably would’ve hit the road running a LONG time ago. I’m still learning from him, so much. I’ve learned how to laugh and have fun in new ways. I mean who would’ve ever thought that getting eaten alive by mosquitoes while coyote calling would be fun…but it is! Or making a “love-sac” from two yards of bright orange fleece? Or even just turning the couches around and watching Grey’s Anatomy? I can honestly say I don’t think I’ve ever had so much fun and been so happy.

Talking to Abbie tonight helped me realize some things too. Jake is always going to be a friend. That is not changing. I’ll still write him letters because that’s what friends do: support and uplift each other. But Dan…he’s something different. And I intend to hold onto that for a long time.

I don’t know how much of this is making sense because well it’s almost 3 in the morning and I’ve been slightly delusional for the last couple of hours…I’m blaming Raegan and Abbie…oh and Martinelli’s.

Recognize a good thing…a great thing…perhaps the best thing, when you’ve got it. And then do all that you can to hold onto it. I’m glad I’ve recognized mine. Have you?

See 2011: I’m already just a little wiser…and it’s only been 3 hours! Think of what a whole year will do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SHARE THE LOVE