Saturday, June 9, 2012

Baseball caps and t-shirts

I've been meaning to blog for quite some time now. There's all kinds of things to blog about here in Denver, but let's just chalk it all up to the fact that I work too much...especially right now.

Denver has been great so far, but definitely not what we had expected out of the summer. I guess you win some and you lose some. Honestly it's just a little frustrating when you plan things and then it just doesn't work out that way. It's okay, don't get me wrong, we're happy, but it's just a little frustrating. The frustration comes to a culminating point every so often and I just break down. Two nights ago this happened. I just couldn't take it anymore...I'm working on a coping mechanism, but haven't quite managed to find one that works for me.

Basically it just came down to the fact that I miss Dan. We've been so go go go ever since we got married. We left for Texas, I left for school, Dan was working 3 jobs (I still can't believe he did that!), and then I got into the nursing program, Dan left on recruiting trips to Idaho frequently, and then we came to Denver. I started working...50+ hrs a week. It's just been so so busy and honestly I feel like we lost each other a little bit. We're happy, don't get me wrong, but I just miss being friends and having time to just hang out with each other.

As much as it sucks, I think this has been good for us though to really decide what we want to do. We made some life directional decisions and have a rough outline of what we're doing after this summer.

Dan got accepted to UVU! So he's going back to school in the fall...maybe. He hasn't quite decided because originally he was going to have to take placement tests and stuff by the 15 of June to be accepted, and obviously that one wasn't going to happen. At that point, we had pretty much decided he'd take a class or two just to get back into the groove of school, work some and then start during the winter semester. So being accepted was definitely a blessing, but now it's the toss up...what do we do? Dan wants to get a full time job, take a class or two and get us settled back into a home that we'll be in for the next year or two. Let's face it, I'll be doing clinicals, and I pretty much will not have a life so any settling in will not get done by me.

Life has been good to us though. We just celebrated our ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY!! (well...it was almost a month ago) I'm still not sure how I feel about that though. It went way too fast. Lucky for me I have forever with that man and I'm so so excited for all of it. We're happy, we're healthy, and I really don't have too much to complain about. I wish I blogged more, but I'm working on it. We've had some seriously funny things happen to us lately but for the life of me I can't remember a single one of them. So as they come to my head I'll jot them on this post. It's my catch all right now, so if you read all the way through...props my friend, props.

One that I do remember though is on Wednesday there was a killer storm moving in through Denver and according to the weather lady all it was supposed to be was 50 mph winds from about 5-9 pm. No big deal. Well high speed winds is a HUGE deal apparently when it's combined with rain and hail! Luckily at work it just rained so I didn't have to worry about the hail aspect when driving home, but the boys had basketball that night. It was sprinkling when I got home around 10 and Dan and I left for the Church at 1015 at the latest and it was pouring already! After 3 games (they only go to 9 pts) I was ready for bed (it's 11 mind you and 730 just always seems to creep up on me earlier than the day before). Being the good husband that he is, Dan said okay and we left, only this time the rain was coming down in buckets. There are no words to describe the amount of rain that was falling from the sky. We made it home just fine, after all a little rain never killed anyone. After about 10 minutes of being home, believe it or not the rain came down even harder and was much much louder. I went outside on our balcony to check it out and then noticed it actually look like it was hailing. Sure enough dime size hail was cascading down the roof of the apts and it actually looked like snow on the ground. Quite a bit made it onto our porch. I was honestly shocked and worried about our car (there's no covered parking anywhere in the complex unless you have a garage). It was super crazy and cool at the same time. Luckily it stopped hailing after 20 or so minutes and went back to rain, but it was nuts!

I've been pretty lucky that I haven't seen too much wildlife activity in my apt, and by wildlife I mean spiders. Well I was thinking to myself it's been so great and wonderful that I've really only seen one cricket (which seriously scared me to death--pathetic). I picked up Dan's lunch box and set in on the counter and a huge wolf spider crawled up the side! I dropped it and just screamed! It scared the poop outta me! Dan killed it of course and that was the end of it. Later that day I was washing the sheets and we had a little spider crawling in our bed!! I flipped...again...and killed it by myself but at that point I was like this is not okay! Not okay! I texted Jed (the branch manager in Denver) and told him I NEEDED my apt sprayed asap because spiders are not okay, at all! Especially not in my bed!

It's been a pretty busy summer so far. I can't believe it's already June! I just want things to slow down a little bit, but at the same time I want to get back into school. It's a little pathetic but I kind of miss studying a ton for tests because I just love learning about the body. It's probably a good thing I chose nursing to go into.

As for the rest of the summer, I've decided I'm going to be Happy. I know that seems like a silly thing to decide but I've just been miserable lately. Dan and I both have. I try to stay positive but I'm just miserable and frustrated with life in general. We were watching a clip on youtube about a guy who has no arms and no legs. I don't remember his last name, but his first name is Nick, and he's from Australia. He has the best attitude and watching that video just helped me to realize happiness is a state of mind and a choice. It's choosing to be happy when everything around you tells you otherwise. It choosing to be happy amidst the struggles, and choosing to be happy when at the end of the day you'd rather cry than smile. It's okay to get down, but don't get stuck in a rut. Just be happy. This life is the greatest blessing and I for one want to be happy and enjoy it.

It's a baseball cap and t shirt kind of day and I'm happy about that. :]

No comments:

Post a Comment

SHARE THE LOVE