Monday, June 18, 2012

The homeless and motorcyclists

Driving home from work wasn't really anything special. Just chug chug chuggin along and hoping that the miles would pass faster so I could see Dan. I'm sitting at the light at Parker road waiting for it to change. Directly in front of me is a guy on a motorcycle, only the light in the back isn't on. Odd.
After a few minutes (Parker is a pretty major street so the lights last forever), I can tell the bike isn't on, he's trying to kick start it or whatever, and it's clearly not working.

That's when I noticed the homeless guy (well...he can't be that homeless because he actually looked pretty clean, and was clean shaven-ish) walked over and helped him push his bike out of the road and onto the sidewalk. Impressed to say the least.

It actually kind of twinged at my heart a little just to see another human being helping someone out. Honestly, I'm not huge on giving out stuff to the people on the corners. Usually it's because I don't have any food and I'm not going to give them money, but today I really was ticked I didn't have any food. Not even a sandwich. I just felt like his good deed deserved some rewarding for himself. I don't know it just really struck me. Then the lady that was with the homeless guy helped the motor cycle guy, let him borrow her phone to call someone (see I don't think they're really homeless) and gave him some of her food.

It always makes me happy to see other people helping each other out. Like there's a reason to still have some faith in humanity.

Totally unrelated side note: Dan and I went on our very first pajama run since being married!! It was so fun. We took the Greer's with us, and it was nice to just do something spontaneous and share our little family tradition with someone else. We went to Burger King and each had an ice cream cone.
I still remember the first one I went on with Dan. We were staying at his parent's house for President's Day weekend, and I had just taken a shower. We were watching some TV and then Dan's parents come rushing in and say "pajama run!!" I was going to run upstairs and get my shoes (you have 30 seconds to get into the car) but Dan wouldn't let me! So he carried me out to the car. We went to McDonalds and all got ice cream cones. It was so fun!! I can't wait to do that with our kids one day. One day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SHARE THE LOVE