Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Seven

Life is creeping up on me. And I'm not entirely a fan. In fact, I'm not that much of a fan at all. Today is our seven month anniversary. Don't judge that I'm excited about it. In all honesty, I have no idea where these last seven months have gone. But they've been absolutely wonderful.

It's the best thing in the entire world to know that when life gives you lemons, you don't have to make lemonade by yourself. You've got someone to share it with. Someone to laugh with you, cry with you. Someone to confide in, and someone to tell all the crazy things that pop into your head to (or maybe that one only applies to me....and well Raegan).

In the last seven months, I've learned so much about myself. A lot of things that I didn't know. First of all, I'm pretty selfish. That's horrible. And if you already knew this about me, why on earth didn't you say something?! I'm getting better at this though. I kind of think that learning to rely on someone else brings out the selfishness in you...stick with me on this one...and actually relying on them kind of sloughs off that selfishness because you realize it's not just you going through life anymore. You've got someone that falls when you fall, and someone that's also there to support you through your trials.

I have some of the best friends anyone in this entire world could ever ask for. I could just leave it at that and call it good. But I really do. It is one of the best feelings to know that you have friends that understand that life happens and sometimes you just can't keep in constant contact with them. I love that we could have not talked in ages, but just a text hello, or a hope you're doing well, and things pick up right where they were left. Those are the friends you keep for a lifetime. I for one, fully intend on that. I love having friends that you can call to vent the frustrations of life, only to have them tell you to buck it up, and grin and bear it because it sounds a lot like life. Sometimes all you need is a good kick in the butt to put that smile back on your face.

I married the most incredible man, and he is absolutely perfect for me. He has dreams and ambitions that I would have never even thought of at this point in our life. But he never stops thinking of things to do, or businesses that he wants to start. The best part is, I know he'll get there, because that's the kind of person he is. When he wants something, he gets it. Lately, he's been watching this show called Shark Tank. Brief overview, business entrepreneurs come to these 5 billionaires and ask for x amount of money for x amount of equity in their business, and they either strike a deal with them, or don't. So Dan was telling me about a business he wants to start, and I made the joke that he should go on shark tank and get an investment. His response: Heck no! I'm doing it the old-fashioned, American way! See what I mean? Drive and ambition. He's going places, and I'm lucky enough to be on the ride with him.

The Lord really knows what is best for me. It absolutely broke my heart when I decided not to do nursing school last year at EA. It shook my faith a little bit, and I felt so lost for awhile. Obviously, the Lord had bigger plans for me--like getting married and moving to Provo. I've gained such a great testimony of the love my Heavenly Father has for me. He could obviously see that this is what was going to be best for me and our family, and that this was the place we needed to be. It has been the hardest year watching 4 of my good friends start nursing school, and now they're done with their first year. I can't even tell you how many times I called my mom just crying because I felt so frustrated, defeated, and honestly let down. This was my dream! It had been my dream since I was just a little girl. But I've learned that life is not on my timing. Heck, it's never been on my time table. It's on the Lord's. And in the last seven months, I've really come to appreciate and recognize His hand in my life.

I am so privileged to be at BYU. I've never been one of those people that had their heart set on BYU. All my life, I've avoided it like the plague. I've sneared at people that praise it, with disgust. After being here a semester though, I think I can kind of understand why people talk about it the way they do. I'll still never be one of those people, but it really is a great school. I think this semester, I've taken the most from my Book of Mormon class. I have learned so much, and have developed such a love for it, and all the people that sacrificed so much to make sure that I would have it one day. I love the element of the gospel that gets applied to every class. It just brings everything full circle. I also get to be here with my sister, and that has been a huge blessing to have her close. I feel like we really got to be friends, and not just sisters, after I left for college. So it's been so awesome to have her so close, and still get to be friends and sisters. I love hearing all her stories, and it just makes me laugh because so many of them remind me of all the shennanigans Raegan, Abbie and I would get into.

I've come to really appreciate the principle of eternal marriage. I can't imagine being without Dan ever. It's amazing how much you think you love someone, only to realize days and weeks later, that that love has grown. I thought I loved him the day I married him, and I did, but looking back at how much that love has grown over seven short months is amazing. I love that I get to be with him forever! We have some close friends that we miss so so much, and they're getting sealed as a family with their little girl in January. I have been so blessed to be associated with them, and I'm beyond ecstatic for them! It has made me appreciate my eternal marriage that much more, and watching them work towards this goal as a family has been such a testimony builder of conquering trials and reaching your goals. We love you guys so so much!!

I don't really know where to end this, but I've been so richly blessed in my life, and I'm so eternally grateful for it all. This life is no picnic, that's for sure. But today is just one of those days that I get to celebrate the amazing person I picked to have right beside me the entire way. I love you Dan. Forever and ever. :]

No comments:

Post a Comment

SHARE THE LOVE