Thursday, December 22, 2011

Today I'm grateful for...

The home teaching message for this month is by President Eyring, and it's called The Choice to Be Grateful. If you haven't read it, please do. You can read it here. I went home teaching with Dan on Sunday and I'm really grateful he asked me to.

It was a really eye opening article, especially around Christmas time. It talks about being grateful for your trials, and that a lot of times we have trials to remember the blessings we've been given. It made me very very grateful for the trials that Dan and I have. And it actually was perfect timing because I had just been thinking the day before about the trials we've been going through lately. I was just crying about it, mostly out of frustration because there's so many things we'd like to have, but that's just not what we need right now. The thought hit me that I need to be grateful. I'm supposed to be learning something from this and it will better prepare me for what's ahead. That thought led me to remember a blessing that Dan had given me before my finals, that I need to have faith in the Lord right now, and build my testimony and the strength of my faith in Him.

Anyway, our home teachers came over last night, and they challenged us to think of one thing every day that we're grateful for. So I took down our whiteboard, rearranged it, and made a place at the bottom so that Dan and I can write down every day something we're grateful for. I think it's easier to remember and recognize your blessings, especially amidst a trial, when you have to consciously think of something to be grateful for so you can write it down.

I think that has made the difference in our Christmas too. It's our first Christmas, and initially I was pretty disappointed that I wouldn't be able to get Dan all the things he wanted. I mean, it's just not practical to go into debt over it. And then on top of that, I have a million and a half things to get for nursing school. So Christmas this year is just school stuff for me, and I've got a few things up my sleeve for Dan. But mostly, it's just going to be the blessing to spend it with family. And I've never been more excited about it. Honestly, Christmas is the best when you're with family, and especially with little kids. They get so excited about it, and it just makes you happy.

On the subject of gratitude, I'm so extremely grateful for my Heavenly Father. He always provides a way for us to make it through each and every month. He loves us, and He wants to bless us. I absolutely love that, and I love being reminded how aware He is of us.

Grat-i-tude: n. the quality or feeling of being grateful or thankful.

Spread gratitude this Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SHARE THE LOVE